Friday, December 5, 2008

Book Review: My Little Girl by Tim McGraw


I had the chance to read and review "My Little Girl" from Thomas Nelson Publishers and since I'm a sucker for a good kid's book I couldn't resist. The book is written by Tim McGraw and Tom Douglas. The beautiful illustrations are by Julia Denos.

I'm usually the kid's designated story teller, but since the story is about a special day between a daddy and his daughter I thought it might be better if their dad was actually the one to read it to the girls and I'd just be the silent observer type (a rare occasion for me!)

First (and most importantly) the girls loved nothing more than to curl up on the sofa and read a special book with their daddy. The fact that the book was about father's and daughters made it even better.

The book follows a special day that a father sets aside for quality time with his girl. It is his way of letting her know how much he loves her and that his little girl is most important to him. I love how it highlights the special bond between a father and his "little girl." The Daddy and his daughter, Katie, spend the day enjoying simple every day activities that, in the end, become even more special than a trip to a fairy tale ball.

We have tons of great books about how much mommies love their kids, but for some reason daddy books are just less common. So this was a really nice treat for them and I think it will fast become their favorite book to read with their dad.

The artwork is really beautifully done and even Thomas, who can be a tough critic anytime it comes to graphic elements, really enjoyed it. The story was special and really illustrates how meaningful even the simplest activities are to kids and parents. I think it makes a perfect book for a father to give to his daughter and read during special daddy-daughter time. I know my girls loved the book, the snuggling, and the reading. It was a perfect reason to snuggle up on the couch before bed!

No comments: